The Year 2013 changed the way I travel – I added a pinch of courage and it made all the difference.
The experience opened my eyes to what discovering the world on your own power – be it on foot, cycle or boat can do.
Good food was another addition. On our cycling trip we would wait for the organic lunch made from local produce. Food in South Italy was as heavenly as the place itself. The Gods have clearly been partial with those on the Mediterranean. Once you eat their Mozzarella cheese and their tomatoes, every other Italian restaurant you visit would only become the second best.
In summer Europe springs to life and along with it, song and dance. Attending rock concerts in London and music festivals in Sopron was a delight to the senses and a great way to spend the night. So here is the recipe: adventure + food + music + friends.
A holiday out with friends is something else. I went out with the boys and it probably grew younger on the trip.
- Segway in Prague. The Segway is a fun and efficient to explore a city.
- Cycling from Prague to Budapest. 350 kms. 4 countries: Czech, Slovakia, Austria & Hungary.
- Boating around the Capri. There is something luxurious about a private yacht.
- Swimming in the Sea. You almost cannot drown thanks to the buoyancy.
- Trekking on the Capri Island. Small trek but works as a warm-up for the bigger ones.
- Trekking Mt. Vesuvius. Always slightly fearful that it could erupt anytime.
- Trekking the Path of the Gods, Amalfi Coast. The path’s name is well-deserved. Don’t underestimate it for its beauty, age or challenge.
- River Rafting in Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho. For a back-to-our-human-roots experience, experience the unspoiled American wilderness.
- Camping in the Wilderness for a week changes your diet, the way you eat and the way you look.
- Reaching the Wilderness and leaving it to the expertise of Idaho’s mountain pilots took me some courage.